Most stones and grout joints between stone tiles are very porous. These surfaces can stain easily if not properly treated with a protective sealer. Proper sealing aids in daily maintenance. Protective sealers should be applied shortly after installation and reapplied every time your stone and grout is professionally cleaned by Burrous Brothers.
To clean your stone and grout, use a neutral pH cleaner. Specially formulated cleaners for stone and grout, like StoneTech Professional ™ All Purpose Stone & Tile Cleaner, gently and effectively clean away everyday soils. StoneTech Professional ™ Revitalizer™ adds sealer as you clean. Using strong, high pH cleaners can remove protective sealers.
To properly maintain your stone and grout, you should have Burrous Brothers Company clean and seal your hard services about every two to three years.
Natural Stone Care Tips:
- Regularly clean your stone with a neutral pH cleaner.
- Wipe up spills promptly. Oils are particularly damaging to stone surfaces. So, make sure to wipe up cooking oils in the kitchen and cosmetics in the bathroom. Acids can etch or dull most stone surfaces and degrade protective sealers. Take special care with citrus drinks and alcohol, as well as perfume, toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Sweep, dust or vacuum floors regularly to remove loose soil and dust. Dry sandy soil can scratch your surfaces.
- Place small rugs or mats at entryways to trap dirt and minimize scratching.
- Don’t use general-purpose cleaners or products containing vinegar, bleach, ammonia, or abrasives on natural stone.
- Don’t use acidic or alkaline cleansers, except for those specifically designed for use on natural stone.
For further information on caring for Natural Stone, visit the Marble Institute of America’s Natural Stone Care and Cleaning page. http://www.marble-institute.com/consumerresources/care.cfm